Saturday, December 14, 2013

Montmartre

Yesterday the boys and I made our way out to Montmartre.  The church has a sad and rather shameful story behind it (this I learned from a documentary on Paris that I borrowed from the library prior to this trip) but it is such a beautiful spot. 
 
The boys didn't mind the hike to the top of the hill, but were far less interested with the church itself once we reached the top (I was again glad to have visited it previously) and no sooner had we come within sight of the breathtaking edifice, but they were ready to head back down.
 
Eliot was not interested in having his picture taken in front of the historic church and fled when I went to snap his picture.
 
 
 Peter was also uninterested in posing for a picture, but his lack of interest was passive enough that I was able to capture this.
 
What really caught their attention was the carrousel at the bottom.  We've seen plenty of these around town but haven't yet taken a ride.  Eliot reminded me that he had never ridden on a carrousel before, so we went for it.
 
 Eliot rode for a bit on a horse before climbing down to join Peter and myself on one of the benches.
 
 Eliot was actually having a much better time than this picture would suggest.
 
 Peter had no interest whatsoever in riding on one of those horses, but he loved everything else about the carrousel ride.
 
After the carrousel ride we made our way down the street where we found all kinds of interesting sweet shops--with a name like Le Petit Musee du Chocolat you know it's going to be good, and it was.  I wouldn't mind another visit to this part of town.
 
 I also introduced the boys to one of my favourite winter snacks--roasted chestnuts.  I wasn't sure what they'd think.  I knew the subtly sweet flavour would be a hit but I didn't know how they'd handle the starchy texture.
 
 Turns out both boys were fans. 
A couple of chips off the old block :)

No comments: