Saturday, December 14, 2013

Errands and other outings

Yesterday I had some errands I needed to run and Spencer offered to stay with Peter during his nap so that Eliot and I could take off.  I had intended to go to the department store Samaritaine, but upon arriving discovered it was closed for renovations.  I was able to find what I needed in the nearby shops and then Eliot and I were off in search of a chocolat chaud.
 
We walked back down the Seine and discovered a bunch of pet stores.  I love that in French you can add -erie to the end of a word and it becomes a shop selling that thing.  Hence, animalerie.
 
Eliot enjoyed watching the fish but thought the shops with puppies were too smelly ("germy" was the word he actually used.)  I always feel sorry for puppies in pet stores too.
 
Finally we found our little café and took a seat outside because it was such a nice day.  Eliot perused the menu.
 
Digging into his chocolat chaud viennois.  When we'd finished we walked back up the Seine on the other side of the street so we could admire the wares for sale.  Eliot enjoyed leafing through the art prints with me and feeling very grown-up and involved.
 
That evening we took the boys out on their first after-dark outing.  We visited the Christmas market along the Champs Elysees, and oh la la, mais il y avait du monde!
The crowd in this picture is actually pretty thinned out compared to the horde we landed ourselves in after climbing out of the metro.
 
Eliot ventured into the crowd with me in search of various treats.  Here we're purchasing some caneles de Bourdeaux, yum!
 
While waiting for Eliot and me to return with the treats, Peter was happy to sit with Daddy on the fringe of the crowd, near the street, watching the cars and buses rush by.
 
Eliot's favourite part of the evening, which he hasn't been able to stop talking about?  Candy floss.
 
Of course we picked up a few of these on the way home.
 
It was a really nice evening to be out on the town, even if half of Paris seemed to have the same idea.

No comments: