Sunday, April 20, 2014

Happy Easter!

Grandma and Noni both left last week.  We were sad to see them go but find life slipping back into it's normal rhythms now that my lungs are well managed.  While they were here we enjoyed some preliminary Easter festivities.  I am woefully behind on my blogging and I'll share some photos from those in my next post.  Easter Sunday was a beautiful, sunny day with just enough clouds and just enough breeze to make it very pleasant.

I got up at 3:00 am to mix the dough for the hot cross buns, then I went back to bed to sleep while they were rising.  When the boys and I got up for the day they helped brush the buns with egg and pipe on the crosses.

After we'd eaten our breakfast I found, in the pages of my cookbook, a note from the Easter Bunny with a clue for the boys.  The scavenger hunt sent them first to the washing machine, then to look inside Garbage Truck, then off to look under my pillow, and then into Eliot's shoe.  Finally the boys were led to look under the kitchen sink where they discovered that that clever rabbit had filled their Easter baskets with all sorts of delights.  The idea of finding clues captured Peter's fancy and after we'd found the baskets of treats he was determined to search his other trucks for "cwoos."

Eliot was thrilled with everything in the basket and loudly announced each item as he pulled them out.  Peter, to his credit, went for his box of raisins first and I was very pleased...

...until he poured them onto the rug in order to eat them.

Each boy received a chocolate Easter Bilby.  Eliot had written to the Easter Bunny specifically requesting one.

Chocolate!

Chocolate!

Crash.

I turned on some cartoons for them while I washed the dishes and got our bag packed for church.  Their faces were saying what they themselves would never utter: "If I ever see another piece of chocolate again it will be too soon!"

Eliot has recently become acquainted with the idea of death (mainly from his interactions with the insect world) and the religious aspect of Easter was a little more prominent in his mind this year.  It was nice to be able to talk with him and Peter about the Resurrection and find that it wasn't swallowed up entirely in the tidal wave of chocolate eggs.

No comments: