Monday, February 4, 2013

Milestones: Eliot Starts School!


Today was Eliot's first day of Kindergarten, or Kindy, as the Aussies call it.

The night before, we took a picture of Eliot with all of his school supplies.  He had been uncertain about starting school, until we went shopping for supplies.  Then, all he could talk about was going to school and using his markers and glue sticks.  He would pack up his backpack and walk around the apartment, telling me that he was ready to go.

Eliot's school is called Lake Monger Primary School, so called because it is just across the street from scenic Lake Monger.

It's just a few blocks from where we live, so we had a nice walk this morning.

Eliot settled right in.  He walked in and went straight to the puzzles that were laid out on a table.  I said goodbye and wished him well, but I don't think he even noticed when Peter, Yellow Bear, and I left.

Peter took very good care of Yellow Bear on the walk home.  He and I had some errands to run in the morning and then went home to play and clean house respectively.  The apartment sure was quiet.  I missed Eliot's little running commentary on life.

Walking home after being reunited with Yellow Bear.

They like to really ease children into school here.  Today he attended from 8:40 to 11:30, then he'll have off on Tuesday and go back on Wednesday from 8:40 to 11:00.  Next week it will be Monday, Tuesday 8:40 to 11:30, Wednesday 8:40 to 11:00.  Then, on week 3 he'll start the usual schedule of Monday, Tuesday 8:40 to 3:00 and Wednesday 8:40 to 11:00.

As we walked home he told me about his day in bits and pieces.  He apparently made an octopus, and remembered something about one fish eating another fish.  It will be fun hearing about all the little things that capture his imagination.  Our family has officially entered into The School Years.  I think they're off to a good start.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Fun, fun, fun! I love how Peter suddenly seems very grown-up as well, being promoted to man-in-charge for a few hours. How exciting :)

Raina and Andy said...

oh my goodness nora! wasn't it just yesterday that I was so mad at you (not really) that you were wearing the belly band with your regular work pants and I was already in maternity pants? Love that BIG boy. love that yellow bear. make sure you update us on what he says about school. RR