Sunday, February 10, 2013

Happy (Belated) Australia Day!

Australia Day was on January 26 but I couldn't let it go without a blog post.  It was a hot day (of course) and we took the boys to the beach where we had a nice swim in the ocean.  The water wasn't too rough--just nice, gentle swells--so even Peter got in on the action.  When the water is calm like that, Eliot is pretty good about swimming, with his life vest on, without my help--though I always keep him close at hand.  He thinks it's hilarious when the water makes him "get really tall" and then drops him down again.  Peter was less impressed.  He tolerated it when I took him in for a swim, but only once.  I suppose I can't blame him.  While I was holding him, a rogue wave came up and knocked us down.  We recovered quickly but he made it perfectly clear that he was ready to get out.   He loves water, but he's in a phase where the ocean is just a bit much.  He greatly preferred playing on the sand.

That evening, Eliot and I (Spencer stayed home with Peter who was too tired to stay up late) drove up to our church's parking lot where you have a pretty good view of the city and the river, where fireworks were planned.  While we waited for the fireworks, I got out some sparklers and Eliot had a great time.  So great, in fact, that the fireworks that followed were rather anticlimactic (as an aside, 'anticlimactic' is one of Eliot's favourite new words.  He pronounces it 'an-tic-a-mantic'.)  Even so, it was great way to wrap up a very happy Australia Day.  
(just a note for anxious grandparents: in that first picture, the sparkler isn't nearly as close to Eliot's face as it appears :)

1 comment:

Janet said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. I wanna go to the beach!