Sunday, November 25, 2012

Giving Thanks

So, this year I forgot about Thanksgiving.  I mean, not totally.  I knew it was coming up, and on Wednesday I remembered that the next day was Thanksgiving.  But by then I'd already planned on having prawn skewers for supper and going out to a movie with girlfriends in the evening.  So, we had prawn skewers for supper and I went out to a movie with girlfriends in the evening.  It's amazing how those American holidays can sneak up on you when you're away.

We may not have had turkey, but we certainly had enough pie.  An American family at church has a tradition of inviting friends over the Sunday before Thanksgiving for a pie night.  Everyone brings a pie to share and we all eat our fill of the one thing everyone loves but scarcely has room for after a large meal.  The boys had less pie that I had expected, which was probably just as well.  They were far more interested in running and playing with all the other children, which I'm certain they were thankful for.

Not having a turkey dinner certainly did not detract from my feelings of gratitude for my health, my husband and children, our extended family, our friends, our comfort and safety.




No comments: