Friday, October 21, 2011

Kings Park

Just North of the University of Western Australia campus, running along the Swan River, you'll find an expanse of wilderness called Kings Park. The first week or so that we were here, we called up two of our new friends, Paul and Christina McWilliams, and took in a small portion of the reserve.

One of the first things I notice about a new place is the vegetation. This is probably true for a lot of people. When you're accustomed to maple and elm lining the streets and now you find olive and eucalyptus it's a constant reminder that you're far from home, but in a good way.

So it was really neat to wander around Kings Park and take in all of the blooming flowers (remember, it's spring here) and the native bush plants, and the not-so-native boab tree. The view of the Swan River and the surrounding city was beautiful. It's definitely on our list of Where to Take People Who Visit Us Here.


Eliot is not making a funny face here but, rather, stating the name of the thing he's holding. "Gum nut."

















<>

5 comments:

Janet said...

What a great place! Keep the pictures coming - we love 'em!

Rissie Grace said...

Really beautiful Nora. That's a place that I want to visit when I come. Also, it seems that the cowboy hat is Eliot's new go-to accessory. Cute him.

(Where's yellow bear? At home with his feet up?)

Rissie Grace said...

I love the picture of Peter in that awesome hat. I think there's a picture of Eliot wearing and making almost the same face. They are definatly brothers! xxoo

Eileen Young said...

Hi -
Thanks for such an interesting update - I feel like you are near and not so far away. Glad you are getting settled. I love the pix of our two greatgrandsons. They are sure handsome fellows!
Can you send me your email address?
Love to all Grannie - I'd like to be able to be in touch through email not just blog.
I had a very 'suddessful' quilt show in my home - well attended, great refreshments and of course the quilts came with a good story. My neigbors mingled well with the sisters .

Eileen Young said...

Hi again-
Don't know what happened - not the way I wrote. Hope you can make sense of this blog.
G