Saturday, April 3, 2010

Heading North

Many of you are already aware that Spencer obtained a post-doctoral fellowship at the Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies in Toronto, Ontario. We are so excited about it for several reasons. First off, it's a huge deal in the world of medievalists; secondly, it means that we will be spending a year in Toronto; and thirdly Hockey Night in Canada won't require a special cable package. While we are thrilled for the opportunity, it has also meant confronting layer upon layer of red tape. From health insurance to car warranty, almost no aspect of our life has escaped investigation as far as moving across the border is concerned. As Spencer put it, it's a nice problem to have. Our many phone calls and emails have paid off and things are really starting to come together. We won't be moving up there until the end of summer so there's still time to get everything squared away.
I have to be honest, it is going to be sad to say goodbye to Milwaukee. We've really enjoyed our time here and there are so many things about this area that I love. I've always told Spencer that of all things about my home town that I'd miss (with the exception of my family), Lake Michigan would be the hardest to leave. But with Toronto's spot on Lake Ontario I should feel right at home :)

4 comments:

Erin said...

Wow! How exciting to make such a move. I hope all goes well!

Claudia said...

Sounds like an amazing adventure and opportunity. Good luck to you!

Jaima said...

Great news! I am glad to hear that you will be spending some quality time North of the border. Hope all goes well with the move. Have fun in Toronto- and go to the Bata shoe museum. On one of Jeff's work trips to Toronto I caught this museum- even if you aren't a shoe girl I bet you'll love it.

Eileen Young said...

What positively welcome news. Congratulations to all of you. Toronto is called 'Toronto the Good" Now that you are coming it will be called "Toronto the best!"
Way to go, Spencer.
Love
Grannie