Sunday, September 20, 2009

Defended

This past Friday Spencer defended his doctoral dissertation. It was a brilliant triumph! I drove over to Madison after work to meet up with Spencer and he seemed blown away with the gushing response he had received from the defense committee. I was very pleased, but not surprised. I've come to expect great things from Spencer. I'm so proud of him! We celebrated that evening at a French restaurant in Madison which we thought was a good fit considering the topic of Spencer's studies. Jed (he of "Rough Stone Rolling" fame) and Shawna Woodworth joined us and we had a nice evening with great food and conversation.


We had an early morning the next day because we were volunteering at a diabetes conference here in Milwaukee where we worked the registration table. We have been looking for ways to serve in the community and this opportunity presented itself through my work at the hospital. It was great to get out and lend a hand. Plus, they had bagels.












Eliot had a busy weekend as well. On Friday he went to the zoo with Noni and Grandpa where he looked at all kinds of animals (he especially loved the fish) and got to ride on the train. He has also started to sit on his own. He has been practicing for the past few weeks and the other day was able to keep his balance without over-correcting. It eventually ended with a face plant into a blanket, but he's moving in the right direction. Sure do love that boy!






What a happy boy!

5 comments:

Janet said...

I love these pictures! Spencer looks very relieved to have the defending behind him and done well. Eliot!! I saw the first sitting pic on FB, but that "mug shot" picture is too cute for words.

Erin said...

Congratulations. And I kid you not, the word verification for my comment is "prosit." Fitting, don't you think?

Katey said...

Yay Spence! Glad to hear that it went well. Elliot continues to be one of the smileiest babies I've ever seen.

Jaima said...

Congratulations! Brilliant has always been an appropriate adjective for you Spencer.
Eliot looks as charming as ever. It's so fun when they sitting, eh? I think they look like little buddhas.

Eileen Young said...

Thanks for the update. Congratulations, Spencer. Hard work pays off. I'll bet everybody will want to hire you now. But play it cool!
Noni is lucky to have such an interested fellow accompany her to the zoo. I'm envious.
Grannie