Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Out of the Best Books

I'm a member of goodreads.com where I go to keep a list of books that I would like to read and get reviews and good reading recommendations from friends. Today on their home page they had a list of books that had been voted into the "Best Books Ever" category. There were five books listed, they were, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Book of Mormon, Pride and Predjudice, Twilight, and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The fact that Twilight made the list might lessen the distinction for the other four, but it was based on readers' votes and the people have spoken. I'm happy to say that I've read them all and, with the possible exception of Twilight (no offense to all those fans out there--evidently there are many of you) I can highly recommend each one.

Here's a bit of trivia from the site's homepage as well:
In Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales, the character of Chanticleer is a...
a) con artist
b) rooster
c) knight
d) fox


"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
--Dr. Seuss

PS The answer is B

2 comments:

Katey said...

Hmmm, sounds like an interesting website. I may just have to check it out.
Twilight made the top five?! Not mine.

Jaima said...

Twilight is certainly in my top 5. It is embarassing how much I love this book. Kaitlyn Flanagan, one of my favorite writers in the Atlantic wrote a review of Twilight in November, I think? Anyways, she talks about how she was transported back to her adolescent self when reading this book. I had the same experience. And it was so fun! Also in my top five are Jane Eyre (I read it every year, and it is my favorite, hands down). I'm not sure about the other three. I'd have to consider.